Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Another hobby...creme brulee

I want to learn to make creme brulee well. I watched an online video of a french guy giving tips a week or so ago, but wish I had reviewed it when making the creme brulee this afternoon.  
Here is the half and half (don't know whether or not I'll use real cream next time). 
A candle lighter works pretty well for getting the air bubbles out before putting the ramekins in the oven. 

Done, but the middle didn't set well. I may need to invest in a torch!

4 comments:

adamf said...

This is a good hobby to have, especially for me. :)

Also, I had no idea what a ramekin was.

tara said...

adam didn't know what something was and i did??? call the phd board. they've got the wrong guy. yeah, totally kidding. well done on the creme brulee, but share some hobbies/talent with me. i'm totally lacking in that dept.

natalie said...

Tara, why do you think I'm blogging about these things....they are among the few that I have, so I've got to broadcast it. Nice thing about hobbies, though, is that anyone can join:) We miss you lots! And sorry to hear about the trip to the hospital with Luke!

Alice said...

Mmmm, I love creme brulee. The Mandarin puts a couple of raspberries in the middle of theirs as an extra special surprise.

Is it very complicated to make?